Optical Access Key featuring Low-power Electronic Adaptive Function
- To characterise the behaviour of certain VCSELs when bandpass-modulated with up to 24 x
51.84 MB/s channels.
- Combine low component-count, low power and low cost VCSEL bandpass modulators (based on
GSM mobile radio technology) with commercially available xDSL interface equipment.
- Verify that appropriate DSP can be used to reduce distortion introduced by the non-ideal
transfer function of the VCSEL and associated circuitry.
- Produce a demonstrator showing how VCSEL-based modulators can offer an effective
interface for hybrid xDSL/optoelectronic access networks.
- Project commenced: October 2001
- Final Report: September 2005
- University of Essex, University of Cambridge
Page last updated: 24 February, 2008