Poetry Workshop exercises
- 3 word game (use 3 given words in a poem)
- Chinese whispers
- Found poetry
- Say as much about person/reader/word-sounds as possible
- Picture postcards
- Fill the gaps (cloze procedure)
- Put in linebreaks
- Add a line/verse to a poem keeping in style.
- Put lines/verses in the right order
- Be a person/object from a famous painting
- Pick 5 headlines from a newspaper. Make a poem from them.
- Wander round a city. Write down everything you hear said into
a mobile phone.
- Duet Poem (Maketa Groves). Tree talking to sunset, seaweed
arguing with the moon
- "A moment learnt from"
- "A keepsake"
- Convert between poetry and prose
- If you usually write fast, try writing slow (and v.v.)
- Write in situations/places that you don't normally write in
- Come up with 10 un-poetic words ("thou", "plangent", etc)
then use as many as you can in a poem
- Lists. List the places you've had a picnic, been sick, etc
- (virtual poetry workshop, exercise 6) Try writing an entire poem using monosyllabic (one beat) words only.
Back to workshop index
Updated on 3rd November, 1996